You can make simple salt dough from everyday components in your kitchen cupboards. Save cash and preserve the little ones entertained with this thrifty kitchen craft.
Making salt dough is a actually fun and straightforward action for youngsters and the odds are you will have all of the substances in the cupboard ready to go on a rainy day. Children will enjoy making use of their imaginations to produce all sorts of fascinating objects (although basic shapes do appear to operate very best) and hours of fun painting their creations, but do take care to remind small ones that the salt dough is NOT edible.
Helps make 1 ball
Prep 10 minutes
Cook three hrs
1 cupful of plain flour (about 250g)
one. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
2. Combine the flour and salt in a massive bowl. Add the water and stir right up until it comes with each other into a clean ball.
3. Transfer the dough to a floured perform surface and form into your selected model. You can roll it out and minimize out shapes, numbers or letters making use of biscuit cutters, or make any variety of 3D model you can think of. We manufactured some fruit and veg shapes plus cupcakes for a teddy bear’s picnic.
four. Put your completed items on the lined baking sheet and pop in the oven for three hours or until reliable.
five. Depart to awesome and then paint.
• Straightforward styles work ideal, as the dough isn’t sturdy until finally baked. If your little one can’t determine between a tall giraffe or a flatter gecko, for illustration, steer them in the direction of the gecko. Also bear in mind that the larger/fatter the model, the longer it will get to finish in the oven.
• Attempt employing silicone baking sheets to roll out the shapes without having the want for dusting every little thing with flour. This saves on cleansing up your kitchen. Silicone sheets are also a quick way to bake without needing greaseproof paper.
• If you want to make pretend iced cupcakes like we did, pop your shaped ‘iced’ dough into cupcake cases prior to you put it in the oven and bake the pretend cakes in cupcake trays. The dough then sets firmly caught to the paper cases, ready for painting with pretend icing, cherries or sprinkles.